ROBERT W. WHITE, MAI, CHA
Born in Philadelphia and a graduate of St. Joseph’s University, Robert W. White has been actively involved in the hotel industry since 1969. He has an extensive background in the management of both restaurant and hotel properties. As Controller for the Ben Franklin Hotel (an 1100 room facility) in Philadelphia, he had a staff of 15 people reporting to him. In the early 1970s, he was Resident Manager of the 650 room Warwick Hotel in Philadelphia. As such, he controlled the Front Office, Housekeeping, Engineering, Food and Beverage Sales Departments.
The late 1970s found Mr. White as the General Manager of the Brandywine Hilton Hotel in Claymont, Delaware. He oversaw the operation of the 200 unit hotel, including restaurants, lounge, and large meeting and banquet space.
Shortly thereafter, Mr. White was the Executive Assistant Manager at the Plaza Hotel in Philadelphia. This was an all-suite concept, and he supervised and maintained a profit in all departments. He also served as Project Coordinator for a $5 million renovation program.
Mr. White’s experience extends beyond individual properties to the larger, multi-property chains. As a Regional Supervisor for Franchise Operations for Hilton Inns, he reviewed the quarterly operations of 15 franchise properties. He also assisted the Regional Manager in site evaluation, analyzed and reviewed feasibility studies and coordinated projects for new development and conversions.
As Regional Sales Director for Franchise Sales for Holiday Inns, Mr. White was responsible for 1,000 rooms, including franchise, company management and wholly-owned properties. He conducted preliminary market surveys and profit and loss projections, as well as analyzed the value of existing properties for possible conversions to the Holiday Inn franchise.
Later, as Senior Vice President and Director of Operations for Lodging Unlimited, Inc. Mr. White oversaw the operations for numerous hotels. During this 4 year period, he turned-around approximately 25 distressed properties and conducted major renovations in 10 more.
As a Real Estate Sales Associate, Mr. White received extensive experience (4 years) in selling hotels. During this same period, Mr. White was also responsible for the consulting and valuation services for Mumford Company.
He is currently President of Hospitality Appraisals, Inc., an appraisal and consulting firm which specializes in hotels/motels and restaurant properties. He has prepared a number of Feasibility and Market Analysis’ for all of the major franchises as well as independent lodging and restaurant facilities. In this position, Mr. White directs and oversees all of the firm’s financial and operational activities.
PERSONAL AND EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
- Community College of Philadelphia; Graduated in 1968; AA Degree in Marketing
- St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; BS Degree in Accounting
Appraisals Institute Courses:
- Completed Courses 1A1 & 1A2, Appraisal Principles & Appraisal Procedures
- Completed Capitalization Theory and Techniques, Parts A & B
- Completed Current Parts A & B of Uniform Standards of Professional Practice Course
- Completed Advanced Income Capitalization Course
- Completed Case Studies and Report Writing
- Completed Advanced Sales and Cost Approaches Course
- Completed Advanced Applications
- Passed first two levels of Experience Reports
- Completed Highest and Best Use Course
- Completed Demonstration Report
- Completed Ted Whitmer’s Seminar for the Comprehensive Appraisal Workshop
- Passed Comprehensive Examination
- Completed Separating Real and Personal Property from Intangible Business Assets
- Designated Member – Appraisal Institute
- Certified Hotel Administrator (CHA)
Certified General Real Estate Appraiser:
- State of Arizona
- State of Colorado
- District of Columbia
- State of Delaware
- State of Georgia
- State of Illinois
- State of Indiana
- State of Maryland
- State of Michigan
- State of Mississippi
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- State of North Carolina
- State of Ohio
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of South Carolina
- State of Texas
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- State of West Virginia
- Author of several articles on hotel management published in major trade publications.
- Author of “A Second Opinion”, a management case study report.
- Has testified as an expert witness in Federal Bankruptcy Court, District Court and
- Chancellery Court on numerous occasions.
- Moderator for “The Hotel Summit” – Measuring the Risk of Acquisition
- Moderator for “The Lodging Conference” – Estimating Revenue
- Panelist for “The Lodging Conference” – Impact
- Panelist for “The Lodging Management Academy” (Yield Management and Real Estate Taxes Under Control)
- Robert W. White, MAI, CHA has personally participated in over 4,000 lodging appraisals.